Anybody tried supplementing melatonin?
  • dfhdfh
    How much did you take? For how long? What were the results?

I've taken 6 mg before sleep the last few days to help me sleep. I think sleep has improved somewhat, but still it's quite poor. Maybe it's too early to tell if it helps?

Background: I've been having major problems sleeping lately. Along with restlessness, extreme fatigue and depression. I suspect a pretty severe vitamin D deficiency, as symptoms match and things have improved lots since I started supplementing vitamin D. Sleep is still not good though, and from what I've read it might take quite some time for it to resolve. So besides the obvious things like cutting out stimulants and avoiding stress, I've been looking into natural sleeping aids. Read some accounts of melatonin working wonders, so I thought it might be worth trying. At the moment I'm mostly interested in the short term effects on sleep, but would be interesting to know about long term effects as well.
  • SquirrelSquirrel
    Ive tried it before. Do you eat fruit as your main calorie source? Or do you have a back up plan such as starch? I used to have sleep difficulties. From my experience its due to not eating enough carbohydrates during the day. It can take a few days of consistently eating enough but once you do your sleep will be amazing. I always aim for over 3500 calories on days where I sit around doing nothing. Mainly eating bananas,dates, rice and corn pasta. All low fat.
  • SquirrelSquirrel
    Check out durianrider on youtube. Ive suffered with severe depression in the past. Im a depression expert now :)  I can bring on severe depression in a few days by starving myself, hardly drinking water and getting no sleep. Of course If I starve myself im automatically gonna get terrible sleep and be dehydrated due to lack of carbohdyrates.
  • DanielDaniel
    I haven't started supplementing with anything yet, but I've read that the Buteyko method can reduce the amount of and increase the quality of sleep considerably. I'm currently trying that out, will tell of results when/if I get them. 
  • DanielDaniel
    Squirrel said:

Ive tried it before. Do you eat fruit as your main calorie source? Or do you have a back up plan such as starch? I used to have sleep difficulties. From my experience its due to not eating enough carbohydrates during the day. It can take a few days of consistently eating enough but once you do your sleep will be amazing. I always aim for over 3500 calories on days where I sit around doing nothing. Mainly eating bananas,dates, rice and corn pasta. All low fat.

You are saying that the melatonin didn't do much for you then?
  • SquirrelSquirrel
    It did help but i no longer have any need for it because my sleep and moods are great as long as I am eating enough carbs and staying hydrated.

http://newsoffice.mit.edu/2004/carbs

• SquirrelSquirrel
    Bananas are probably the best food that we have access to if we live in canada/usa. Cheap, available, and packed full of nutrition. They're one of the most perfect foods for getting amazing sleep and being a cheerful happy person. Just make sure to eat enough.
  • dfhdfh
    thanks for your replies!

i have found melatonin to be somewhat beneficial. by far no miracle. better than valerian root, though.

@Squirrel:
    i did live on fruit. for about 2.5 years, up until about a year ago. bananas and dates were my staples. it totally wrecked my body, however. so i strongly advise to proceed with _extreme_ caution trying to live that way. i did fine starting out, but a couple of years down the line it proved disastrous.
  • DanielDaniel
    @dfh Were you entirely fruitarian? What happened exactly? What do you eat now? I'm doing the same thing as squirrel atm, eating a lot of fruit (like 1500-2000 calories) and then some starches/veg for dinner (like 1500 calories). I've only been doing this for nine months though.

(sorry for off topic but I do wanna know :p)
  • dfhdfh
    @dnmalin
    i did the 80/10/10. pretty much by the books. but you're right, this is getting off-topic. that, and i'm not ready to discuss it in public yet... send me a pm!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion

Tagged