So what have you all been trying?
  • _ts__ts_
    I'm curious to hear what everyone has been up to !

Some people seem to think diet on its own is enough , but if that was the case I think our ancestors would have figured this all out thousands of years ago. The biochemical/hormonal feedback loops doing the damage, the left hemisphere dominance problem, and the damage already done, are all very hard things to overcome. It just doesn't make sense that a nervous system which has been degrading for ~200,000 years would be able to simply switch back ON like that...(not to mention that often the fruit these days isn't what it used to be as well)

An awful lot of things seem to help, but I've noticed its certainly true that combinations of approaches work far better than any single one used on its own. In a nutshell i'm basically just trying to 1) replace what went missing and 2) reduce the dominance of the left hemisphere while simultaneously engaging the right. This is essentially what ancient spiritual and shamanic traditions were aiming to do, so theres lots to draw upon B-)

A long-term change in diet is a good start, but no where near being a solution on its own. The replacement of biochemicals (or analogs of them) that were constantly present at much higher amounts (some via our own endocrine system) is another step...So things like melatonin, harmalas(MAOI similar to pinoline), dmt, ect...all really help. Especially when carefully combined with techniques to quiet the left hemisphere while engaging the right: For example reducing sleep, meditation, chanting, yoga ect.

Things like this seem to work incredibly well when used very carefully, and they can have a lasting impact on the way we experience the world, and our self.

well i don't wanna ramble on again endlessly right off the bat, soooo, lets discuss :]
  • DACDAC
    I agree.

Breathwork; kundalini yoga exercises, breath suspension, and breath of fire (a particular form of hyperventilation), seems to work very well in terms of quieting and short circuiting, the uncontrolled flow of irrelevant, un-called, mental chatter.

In the wake of a psychedelic experience, I performed my usual Kundalini yoga exercises, I suddenly discovered, how the work was affecting my, what some call, energy body/ies; I could see how the so called "kundalini energy" was rising via my spine, and by being in certain positions, whilst performing particular yogic locks, colors were variously highlighted in my brain.

I could relate more detail, but summa summarum, it simply felt like I was gaining insight into how these "exercises" are really to be "seen", and how they are experienced by those with a certain, perhaps less degenerated, biochemical makeup. The next level of the practice, so to speak. Cool stuff.

Regarding diet, we must first increase our body's ability to assimilate (gut flora, gut wall, etc.), and intake huge quantities of beneficial, appropriate, phytochemicals.

It is interesting to note, how even lemon oil, in sufficient doses, produces remarkable so called psychedelic effects; when we concentrate the quantities of efficacious phytochemicals, however, not everyone may experience these effects, due to absorption problems, wherefore my previous relation concerning assimilation.

Just a few sentiments... :)
  • I intend to carry out many experiments. I have had a profound change in lifestyle from my first psychedelic experience. I have not had any further at this stage. I have changed for the better in many ways and then I read Left in the Dark and it connected a few dots.

I am in the very early stages of changing my diet. A question I wanted to ask is when do you think it is appropriate to start sleep deprivation experiments?

The reason I ask is that I have only made changes recently and obviously want to be involved in helping build this community.
  • _ts__ts_
    Hey clanhuman, I'm not entirely sure. I think it would be a bit different for everyone, but can certainly have some risks depending on a number of factors/how long you go.

But generally I can't imagine that reducing sleep a bit and/or skipping a night here and there to engage in meditation, dance, or other combinations of approaches would lead to much in the way of negative affects really. Of course it will definitely get easier and more profound once a long-term rebuild (i.e. diet) is put into place. I'd just be cautious, proceed slowly, and not push yourself too far if your getting much in the way of negative results.

I did have one very interesting experience where i went nearly 48 hours awake before i had changed my diet hardly at all, but that's not really prolonged sleep deprivation. There was other factors involved as well, such as caffeine (NOT recommended!), and other forms of left-brain overload; since I was cramming during finals week at Uni and attempting to memorize around 2 dozen full pages of very complex text.

That night i found myself in an "altered state" that was very pleasurable and rich with meaning. It was filled with epiphanies and new connections that seemed obvious in that state, but which "i" had never been able to notice. It wasn't unlike my previous psychedelic experiments, but was admittedly mild in comparison to a lot of what i've been through in the following years.

The pages of philosophy i'd attempted to memorize were all there in a sort of visual memory in my head, awaiting to be scanned and understood in a much more holistic way than i was used to.

At one point during this, i couldn't stop thinking in rhyme. This was both mind boggling and hilarious! Later, when i read the book, i found out tony had a similar experience. I was shocked, but it made sense. The divine muse of a poet is a thing often talked about.

p.s. Things that were constantly present in our brain at much higher amounts, such as harmala alkaloids and melatonin, can be supplemented nightly (or even during the day once your used to it). After time this, in combination with a progressive change in diet, drastically changed my sleep requirement and made sleep deprivation experiments much easier and functional.

In fact this sort of reduction in sleep is commonly reported among ayahuasca users in general. I actually feel much better in the morning after sleeping only 5 or 6 hours (and often less) than if i'd slept around twice that long. There can sometimes be a brief initial moment of grogginess, but then once i'm up and moving and get some fluids and food in me, that quickly passes.
  • Hi ts and clanhuman, iv been experimenting Since October iv been eating 80% raw and only eating fish, sleeping 5-6 hours a night and also smoke a little weed (sativa) and I meditate , after reading your last post it sounded familiar to your experiences , at one point whilst reading Tony's book I too felt the holistic understanding as you described , it was quite the experience , it was an indescribable feeling , I swear i could feel the electricity firing in my brain :) and i was in a deep state of bliss , I was reading much faster than I normally can and the information was being absorbed effortlessly, and that for me admittedly is no easy task , the experience was very brief I would say it lasted no longer than 20 mins but man it felt good :)
  • _ts__ts_
    DAC- I can definitely relate to that on many level my friend.

Often times during psychedelic experiences it just 'clicks' and I find that archaic techniques such as yoga, chanting, meditation, and so on, seem as if they were made for that more right brained state of consciousness. As if they're roots run all the way back to our ancestors greater access.

I'm reminded of a talk I heard with Rick Strassman, who mentioned that around 90% of the buddhist meditators he had met claimed to have been originally inspired to pick up the practice by their experiences with lsd.

Andy- good to here you had a nice experience. Its great to here such a benign and useful plant such as cannabis is becoming increasingly accepted by our backwards society. I mean it really is such a powerful and underrated tool when used in certain ways. Its no coincidence that copious amounts of it are often an integral part to many of these eastern spiritual disciplines.
  • Ts Do you know specifically which ones include cannabis in there meditations ?
  • _ts__ts_
    I don't know much off of the top of my head since its been a while since I've done much reading in that area, but you'll find a lot of good info in here :]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_and_spiritual_use_of_cannabis

Its interesting that cannabis increases melatonin production just like these flavonoids in fruit and meditation do. Not to mention we have our own self-generated cannabinoids!
  • DACDAC
    The problem I have with sleep deprivation and cannabis use; both of which I have practiced in the past; concerns how they may impact the endocrine system; and particularly our adrenal glands.

But we will discuss these matter, in depth, in the future.

We may wisely observe our complexion, and particularly, in this regard, how the skin beneath our eyes appears, it ought practically be devoid of any darkness; a sign of true health!
    Notice how chronic cannabis consumers (myself included) often have major bags under our eyes. Cannabis is a wonderful medicine, however it may truly be a medicinal herb and not a tonic herb. Yet, these issues may also be further aggravated by the acidity or inflammation any form of smoking will promote.

• DACDAC
    When I stopped smoking cannabis these bags slowly disappeared.
  • _ts__ts_
    Just to clarify- I certainly wasn't recommending heavy usage or anything like that. Chronic heavy use is often detrimental for a lot of people, as with most things. But I think in the right circumstances it can be very beneficial for shifting perception to a more right hemisphere state, especially if these other factors are put into place- at least in my experience and from what I've seen in others. For most, on its own, its not overly powerful unless taken in rather large amounts.. (relatively speaking). I tend to use it very infrequently compared to most.

And of course, vaporizing or taking it in some other form is always healthier than smoking. Especially raw cannabis juice, which is showing incredible medicinal properties even without the altered state being a part of it

• _ts__ts_
    What have your sleep deprivation experiences been like DAC? Do you have any links on how it affects the adrenal glands?

I have a feeling that when the right hemisphere has undergone a significant period of rebuild, and these other neurochemical elements are in place, then it can begin to take over much more easily during sleep deprivation at that point when the left hemisphere's "batteries" are beginning to run down and its dysfunction is being amplified: allowing its dominance of the right to be lifted and a shift to take place.

Whereas sleep deprivation in other individuals without that rebuild/dietary element in place will amplify the dysfunction of the left hemisphere, but without nearly as much of a shift to the right hemisphere. And that could lead to some problems.
  • DACDAC
    I concur!

But, there is much evidence suggesting the importance of sleep on the performance of our adrenal glands and endocrine system.
    It is perhaps not so much a matter of sleeping, but of resting or hibernating, wherefore meditation may be considered a form of "sleeping".

Elite athlete or people undergoing truly effective detoxification processes; intuitively know rest is essential. For example, Kenyan runners sometimes "sleep" 16 hours a day, in order to enhance performance.

I will go in to much detail in the future; it is exciting to delve into these fascinating subjects!
  • Greetings LITD community!

I was very pleased to get an e-mail making me aware of the new forums. I had stumbled upon the book last summer and it was not only a great read, but it connected quite a few dots for me, further inspiring my own ongoing explorations.

I had encountered a book by Michael Lavery in early January 2012 called "Whole Brain Power", which look at balancing the brain hemispheres through developing ambidexterity. Having been primarily left-handed (and mildly ambidextrous), this struck a few good chords, and among other things, used it as an opportunity to pick up cursive handwriting again. And here, a year later, I have been writing daily with both left and right hands, with clean and neat handwriting on both (and able to write in mirror script with my left). Just a few weeks ago I hit a new wave of inspiration and finally started pushing myself to master writing upside down. Surprisingly, I seem to be picking it up much quicker than I would have expected.

I had already been on a predominantly Vegan (skewing raw Vegan) diet for ~2 years, and enjoying learning about and practicing new approaches to obtain new levels of health and awareness. But I find the label somewhat inadequate. These days I prefer the term (Raw Vegan-influenced) "Nutritarian"-- basically seeking optimal dietary health through whatever means necessary. Good eating practices, Life hacking, etc.

During the summer of 2011, I started on an ongoing quest of sleep optimization, first by introducing Earthing (sleeping while grounded). The immediate impact was subjectively quite tangible, and although I didn't have the tools to objectively measure it, my already great sleep had gotten better. I also started Inclined Bed Therapy around the same time (Andrew K. Fletcher's work of inclining the head of the bed at a 5 degree angle, which has all sorts of wonderful health implications)... and I have rarely gone a day since where I have not slept in a grounded, inclined fashion.

Then in the summer of 2012 I encountered Left in the Dark (actually via some ORMUS forum I was lurking on- someone dropped a link to it; which is exactly why I love being on such forums-- they tend to be the crossroads for all sorts of great information), and I found increased clarity in my Whole Brain / Earthing/Sleeping / Nutritional journeys.

Regarding the sleeping angle, in the fall of 2012 I decided to try Polyphasic Sleep (sleep less / sleep multiple times during the day, including having super-optimized naps), and finally obtained the equipment to more objectively evaluate my sleep (turns out, for a monophasic sleeper, I was sleeping phenomenally). And if one looks up some of the subjective experiences while doing the Uberman sleep schedule, one cannot help but potentially think of increased right brain activity. Now about 4 months into my Polyphasic adventures, I have personally redefined what it means for me to sleep well (sleeping 7+ hours actually feels LESS productive, and I actually feel LESS mentally aware). Getting less than 6 hours of sleep (in the right timed arrangement of cores and naps) really has opened a world of possibilities for me.

Some other activities I have been exploring that I feel fit nicely into these efforts:

- Mental Photography / PhotoReading: using the subconscious to handle the input of information, and then developing/strengthening one's ability to communicate with it and recall it.
    - Don Tolman's "Bootcamp for Brains" has some very interesting mental activities, which I was finding connections to Michael Lavery's Whole Brain stuff and the PhotoReading stuff, before also having things click when reading Left in the Dark.
    - I hand write, alternating between both hands, pages of cursive/mirror script each day. Mostly stream-of-consciousness.
    - Playing games at Lumosity.com (also somewhat of a nice benchmark for how I'm doing over time).

As a result, I find my mental abilities have improved dramatically. Memory, problem solving, attention, flexibility, and speed.

In "Real Life" I find I am much quicker on my feet, able to be more creative, and more detailed in my activities and communications-- I teach Computer Science at the College level-- being able to craft elaborate examples for student comprehension using a range of on-the-spot examples has been nothing short of invaluable for me and my students. My own abilities within my discipline have expanded profoundly as a result of these efforts-- I feel I am a better programmer as a result of my increased creativity.

So, just wanted to close with a big THANK YOU for providing these forums. I look forward to all sorts of new information being shared that I may incorporate into my own explorations.
  • Wonderful post wedge, very informative and I shall be looking into the ideas you have been discussing for my own development. Thanks!

p.s Would you say that learning to be ambidextrous would be beneficial to creativity in general?
  • @clanhuman: re: ambidexterity and creativity-- yes, I think in a way developing my ambidexterity has been a gateway to better tapping the creativity present in the right hemisphere/achieving better hemispheric balance. Certainly one of undoubtedly many ways- I tend to look at it as an under-developed muscle, and with targeted and regular exercising one can get better tone and ultimately ability.

Some other (related, but lesser) approaches I have taken include learning to type using the dvorak keyboard layout, and learning to use a left-handed mouse on the computer. I started that too just over a year ago, and am now not only comfortable with both, I can regularly switch between the two (DVORAK/QWERTY, left/right-handed mousing) in various combinations-- basically finding ways to constantly challenge my brain to use differing pathways.

I unintentionally helped myself a bit years ago in learning to use a UNIX-based text editor known as 'vi'. In the UNIX world it is a religiously divisive subject of love and hate. And it is because it approaches the notion of editing text in a fundamentally different way than pretty much every other text editor out there. I find when approaching text processing on the computer, especially when working with others, I tend to possess a far more flexible perspective-- others exhibit more limited mobility in their solutions- possibly due to how their view (and subsequent perspective on the available mechanics and process of manipulating text) is very monochromatic. Same with knowing a foreign language (or many), or many programming languages-- it enables increased diversity and creativity and expression.

Avoiding a calculator for use in simple math is another habit I have formed, as is picking up a book on "Fast Math Tricks" (did you know that any number that can be evenly divisible by 9's digits add up to 9? or that one can multiply any 2-digit number by 11 by sight (and maybe some mild single digit math-- similar patterns persist in greater digited numbers)-- neat stuff, and a lot more visual/pattern matching in general) and learning to utilize those (we read of savants being capable of incredible math skills, due to utilizing different aspects of the brain or through things like Synesthesia, where one can see numbers as colors)... I love finding unique, if not non-traditional approaches to solving even routine problems, to discover new patterns, and better establish new pathways.

I'd love to hear of any ideas/approaches you have used in your development... even something considered trivial or simple could be the spark to a whole new path of inspiration.
  • SLQSLQ
    Wonderful film about the 'Leaf' - thanks TS.

Why is it so difficult for the world to see? We've become like blind rabbits, propagating ourselves [and our prejudices] like there's no tomorrow.....

Look at the martyr we've made of Bradley Manning ....a young man who risked his life to bare the Truth!

Birth may always have a certain amount of pain associated with it ....but enlightenment has a history of being a pain-killer.
  • Yes thank you ts I'm sure iv seen this before or a similar video , might try this out ;)
  • acdmacacdmac
    I don't think I am intelligent enough to contribute many ideas to this forum but I am very supportive of it and feel over time I can share my experiences. I have read the book and found it to be an important turning point in my life. I hope this community can continue to thrive. I aim to continue researching this subject for the rest of my life so this forum will be a resource for years to come.
  • dfhdfh
    your experiences and ongoing research are very valuable. i too hope this community will grow and thrive, and you are very welcome to be a part of it!
  • DACDAC
    acdmac that's what we are here for... :-)
  • Andymcl84Andymcl84
    Acdmac I feel the same at times mate , but don't underestimate your contribution , if you understand the theory I suppose that's all that is needed here right :) , its nice to hear from everyone "educated" or not , I love to hear experiences and insights from others as obviously insight does not come from knowledge right , so education or intellect don't count there , I think haha :) (im sure ill be corrected if not :) ) I sometimes don't comment in fear of looking stupid , and I might have some real insight on a subject but can't intellectually express it in words , so I don't bother at times
  • DACDAC
    We are all here to learn and grow; to discover ever more truth which we may implement in our lives; and thereby expand the human condition.
  • _ts__ts_
    Hey acdmac, welcome aboard. Anyone can contribute positively here! Regardless of whether our left brain might not think so at the moment ;)
  • acdmacacdmac
    Cheers guys. Nice to feel welcome!
  • SLQSLQ
    ain't no cynics hereabouts [at least what I've seen] ....so am sure you'll enjoy the ride. It's a welcome site - kinda like my forest [home].... There is respect here; you'll find yourself in it and share in the light!
  • I also want to thank you Tony for the Leaf video and your book, talks and interviews which has changed my life (exactly how I'm not sure yet, but for one thing I'm finally writing the novel I've known I had in me since I was a teenager, but never had anything I HAD to write about which I've always heard was a prerequisite for a writer). This is good stuff.

Has anyone here tried integrating raw cannabis into a raw diet? If so, what have the effects been. I have to wait for my plants to grow before I can comment. Luckily I live in Switzerland where the police tend to look the other way if you just have a few plant, though, if you do it the way Dr Courtney recommends, you need to juice, eat and blend a whole plant at least every few days. That's a lot of pot! I can see why he is focusing on legalization as it's easy to get into trouble if you've got the 20 to 30 plants needed to keep up with the program. The more I learn, the scarier the Pharma mob appears to be. If what Dr Courtney says is true, this one plant could put them out of business. Apparently, you don't have to make any lifestyle changes to cure cancer and many other illnesses using raw cannabis. I'm very curious what raw cannabis will do for raw fooders, very curious.

This brings up another topic. Is anyone experimenting with mushrooms, Ayahuasca or any anything in this direction? I would love to hear any comments or even better, if anyone would share their experience.

Peace, love and seasonal fruit!
  • Another topic I'm fascinated with is sleep deprivation. I know what Doug Graham, Durian Rider and other say about how important it is to get enough sleep, but some of you think differently. I'm an 80/10/10er, but I'm open to anything. I'd love to hear about the pros also about the cons if there are any.
  • One other topic I've been meaning to throw into the pot is the book Sex At Dawn. Has anybody read it. I think it has some bearing on Tony's work and clarifies a whole lot about human sexuality. The author makes the mistake of pinpointing our downfall to the advent of agriculture, which in the books focus is when the whole idea of monogyny started, but still I find his points very relevant. Pretty much all preagricultural societies find monogyny counter productive to building community relations. The author goes so far as to say it goes against our nature. The only animals which have sex all year round and where most sex acts are not really for procreation are humans, bonobos, chimps and dolphins. In all of these cases, sex is primarily about building community ties. It's also very advantageous to the survival of offspring. If nobody knows who the father is then everyone and everybody is the father and in some ways mother too as the women share breast feeding, at least in human preagricultural societies. As the father of 4, I can really appreciate the advantage of such a situation. What I wouldn't give for the help of 20 or 30 other parents, adults, elders, teenagers, in other words a real community, not our current fragmented, I would even say perverted, form of community we currently have.
  • acdmacacdmac
  • Yes, I think that suppression of the ego in favor of what is best for the group as well. At least in the few remaining hunter gatherer societies, sex if often used as a way to deepen the bonds of its members. I think our culture also often mistakenly equates sex with being 'in love'. One member of a married couple might have an affair and mistake their lust for love, perhaps even leaving their spouse and children, only to realize what a mistake they have made until after they 'fall out of love.' In our culture we're made to think that there is something wrong with us if we are married and yet still find ourselves lusting after others, but the authors propose that to lust is natural and that 'serial monogamy' is just one of the many aberrations brought on with agriculture. There are also many little interesting side points mentioned in the book Sex at Dawn that I find very revealing. For example, the bones that have been examined of both pre and post agricultural members have found that people were universally much better nourished before the advent of agriculture, which goes totally against the current assumption that agriculture created more abundance. What agriculture did was allow for social inequalities, private property and an end to matriarchy and the beginning of patriarchy. You can't have a lot os possessions if you're constantly on the move and a key to survival is group cohesion and a key to group cohesion is sex. In these cultures it might have been considered selfish 'perverted' to want to have someone all to yourself. Just look at the bonobos and how successful they are at resolving conflict. In the many years of observing bonobos, both in the wild and in captivity, there has never been an instance of rape, murder or warfare.  They resolve all of their conflicts with sex. Another side point mentioned in the book is that we share our constant copulation obsession with only those creatures that have very complicated social structures: bonobos, chimps and dolphins, all of whom have sex all the time. 
  • acdmacacdmac
    Sounds interesting this book so I've gone ahead and bought it. This is why I love forums like these. Discovery of ideas and research.
  • Dittos. I love the internet. I don't go anywhere else when looking for new ideas. My consciousness and my understanding of reality has expanded incredibly fast since I finally got my first computer just a little over 10 years ago at the not so tender age of almost 40. Still, it's only been the last few years where I've learned to use the internets potential and I often have the feeling that I've only just found the tip of the iceberg. I found out about Sex at Dawn on the same YouTube channel I found out about Tony Wright, Rawsomehealthy. I sort of have a crush on Julia who runs the channel along with her husband Paul. They are just one of the many in the 80/10/10 community I subscribe to for new ideas, inspiration and mostly just to stay on track. It's so easy to get off course. I started on my raw food journey 25 years ago when I was 25, so it's taken me half my life to get this far and I feel like I'm finally on the right track. It's nice to know that I don't have to make any major changes anymore. Now I just have to stick with it until my new practices are habit and I can just get on with my life, finally. Still, even what I just said doesn't do justice to what I'm going through. I feel like a caterpillar who is in its cocoon and is itching to fly.
  • _ts__ts_
    Wow, 25 years? Well done coriander!
  • Don't get me wrong. I fell totally off track more times than I can count and often way off track. First I just wasn't ready for that kind of clarity and, especially emotionally, I wasn't ready for the vulnerability you experience on raw foods. You and your emotions are one, there's no separation. Basically my problems were two fold: I had too many 'issues' I hadn't dealt with and I didn't know that high fruit and high fat don't mix, especially not with my sensitive stomach. I often thought I was weak or that raw foods just didn't work somehow for me. I always loved fruit and would eat tons of it. I used to go to the farmers market in San Francisco and buy it by the crate. The problem was that I loved nuts. I read Gandhi's autobiography where he says he ate fruit and nuts and tried to copy this. The results weren't good. I had gas and a bloated stomach all the time. When I ate cooked food I didn't have the same problems. It wasn't until I read Doug Graham's 80/10/10 that I found a solution that really works for me. That was just over a year ago and I'm finally able to stick to a 100% raw diet with very little effort. Another thing that has made it easier is that my 9 year old daughter has now been 100% raw for over 6 months now and my wife is mostly raw. That's a real big improvement too. I like to tell people that if I can eat raw effortlessly, anyone can. It has literally taken me half my life to get here.
  • acdmacacdmac
  • _ts__ts_
    We all seem to have quite a lot in common. :]

Coriander, I too have fallen off track before in the few years I've been at this. Those times have made me more deeply aware of just how important sticking with this path is, so in a way it was a learning experience. After being off of a standard american diet for quite some time, even reverting back to it for just one night can have a pretty devastating affect on how one feels. I suppose the old saying "the higher you are the harder you fall" holds true here in some sense.

acdmac, it doesn't sound strange to me in the slightest that you feel like a better person since that day. My first lsd experience was one of the most pivotal and important moments of my life. Despite what the mainstream media would have people believe, this sort of thing is widely reported among the psychedelic community. If anyone's mostly unfamiliar with this area, i'd spend a bit of time exploring at sites like ayahuasca forums or the dmt-nexus. They are amazing communities with very warm, open, and intelligent people, and have a deep archive of information and experience reports.

Personally, I arrived at this point from a different angle than some here and was originally interested in working with psychedelic plants that have been used medicinally for millenia before i ever was interested in this sort of diet (which i began eating at 18 or 19). It was only through my relationship with those plants that i was awoken to just how devastating and poisonous the standard american diet has become, how utterly insane modern society is (how insane we all are, really..myself included), and how important it is to be mindful of what food i'm using to build and fuel my brain and body.

In the psychedelic community not many would be surprised at your claim acdmac. Psychedelics dissolve conditioned ways of thinking and break the boundaries between "you" and parts of yourself or the universe that you have lost awareness of or have been neglecting. They're like tools that reconnect us with ourselves, the earth, and place in the cosmos. As we grow up we progressively filter reality more and more, and these plants in a sense help dissolve those filters when used properly; opening us up to the mindblowing and infinitely beautiful sea of information all around and within us. They're usefulness, which has been known for tens of thousands of years at least, is only now finally being thoroughly studied and validated by modern science... and they're getting some profound results.

Unfortunately, psychedelics are still largely misunderstood and have a lot of misinformation surrounding them. Many still trapped in culturally sanctioned reality-tunnels still buy into the sort of illusory negative view of them crafted by the negative propoganada that was fabricated in the 60's. Thats changing though.
  • DACDAC
    _ts_ said:

I suppose the old saying "the higher you are the harder you fall" holds true here in some sense.

SO true!

You cannot fool the body.
  • SLQSLQ
    my dear friends, brothers.....

reading through your posts I am given to waves of LovingKindness for each of you are searching with all your heart and are open to what the Elders call eternal wisdom.  

One thing we must all remember is that the 'ceremony' is only the prelude to the Reality you seek, a method to invoke it ....like the threshold of a vision quest. Yes, that's the operative phrase: vision quest.  For in it only a fast can be tolerated.  

You know the old expression: 'there's no such thing as free lunch'. 

I recall my first encounter with MJ.... I was already an adult - it was fifty-five years ago..... and a new and mysterious world first opened up for me. It's been years since I used any of these 'devices' [I want to call them] with the one exception that seems to be of interest to several of you....  

About three years ago Ruth and I went to an Amazon retreat called Blue Morpho. Really, I took the trip more for her than for me..... I was already at the edge of the materium and had any number of times slipped over the edge. Having a tree tell you he loves you ....is a very powerful happening; really, it is a momentous one.  

And with Ruth, too, able to hear the same spirits in the forest here as I did, we somehow did manage to gain some extra traction. I believe it is because we have crisscrossed each other's Path often enough over the 44 years we've been together. 

Yet it wasn't that the deepest experiences need a catalyst - as once the gate is broken, the passage is always much closer to the destination. But her experience many years ago with a psychedelic [way before she was ready for it] was what is known in the vernacular as a 'bummer'. So this occasion would heal and put that experience finally, for all time, to bed.....

For me it would be something else, a trip into the shallower recesses of the spirit world with others - the Shamans particularly - whom I felt close to.... In the event I had deep communications with them during the experience and we shared some very fullsome moments.  However, the stress of the purgative that Ayahuasca is ....was almost too much for a then seventy-five year old guy.... One has to take it regularly to be able to tolerate it.  

I stayed through only two of the sessions; the second only to be of whatever assurance I could be to Ruth.... So I left Blue Morpho ....while Ruth continued on the course for a few more days when she decided she'd had enough too.  She found me at the only four-star hotel in Iquitos, at breakfast. 

For those who perhaps need the experience, it can be awesome.  If one has never entered into the real where spirits dwell ....it is an eye-opener.  But this is not where the most profound of experience occurs.  That is the place one makes Sacred through purification and inner ceremony.  And it is there that the Spirit World and the Materium can coexist....

Anyhow, it is refreshing to see your open minds and loving hearts with each other and for the opportunity you have had to experience Life at its most exciting - dare I say - exalted ways..... 

Yes, LovingKindness is all there is to give.....
  • DACDAC
    Unfortunately, our ability to enter the firmaments and the netherworlds seems to depend on the state of our physical vehicle, which, in turn, may be determined by our genetic and environmental potential. 

Prior to partaking of psychedelics, rarely had I any access to so called right brain activity, following about 30 ayahuasca experiences, I was shown that I needed to profoundly change the parameters of my lifestyle; following such sound advice, maintained a partial opening of my doors of perception, whereas, previously, I relied on MJ to stimulate my creativity, however presently, following a successful lifestyle transformation; creativity seems readily available, nevertheless, only rarely are my dreams divine; and I do not understand nor do I know how to instigate out of body experiences, astral projections, at will. It seems to me that our glandular system and gut performance must operate efficiently due to undergoing rigorous detoxification and regeneration processes or an exceptional, predisposed, genetic makeup; in order to facilitate the expression of the latent potential of our immaterial/astral bodies.        

I find your experience, SLQ, interesting. 
    You describe how ayahuasca catapulted your consciousness down-to the netherworlds, because I do find this to be a limitation in the experiences of many psychedelics, rarely do they seem to propel Man unto the firmaments above, which may account for the cruelty found in many tribes of the wild, and despite undeniable, miraculous, ego dissolving capacities, many western users seem to remain dogmatically scientific/atheistic/irreverent, following years of use. I guess there really is no such thing as a free launch... :-) We can cut classes, but in the end, the spiritual journey/work must be under-taken.       

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion