Material related to LITD?
  • _ts__ts_
    Hey folks

I figured it would be interesting to make a thread dedicated to sharing books/information that expands upon the themes in Left in the dark, or in some way can help further develop our collective understanding  :]

And due to our inability to fully perceive reality at the moment, we mine as well start putting our heads together, eh? I think reading tony's book a few times over the past 3 or 4 years has been really vital in trying to wrap my head around it.. It can take quite a while for things to start thoroughly sinking in and to really register the implications in our current state of mind, that's for sure. Its sort of like we can't truly comprehend the implications until we actually start fixing the thing that's doing the comprehending.

But anyways... along with re-reading that, there has obviously been other books along the way that have helped lend insight into this area...And with all of the interesting people here it should definitely be fun to see what we come up with!

So I guess we could each list some recommendations, then write a little bit about them. I'll start off with this.

Its a great book all around. I guess the title is self explanatory, but his conclusions are much more in line with Tony's than it alludes to.
    Because of our state of mind and cultural conditioning it can be very hard to open ourselves up to the possibility that our ancestors had abilities that were more advanced than our own, and that there actually may have been a previous peaceful time or "golden age" before our fear-driven need to dominate everything surfaced and took the helm. Its filled with fascinating info and Heinberg is a gifted writer. 

I never had realized just how universal, interconnected, and baffling these ancient so-called "myths" were...and it was baffling how thoroughly they all outline our predicament. The book went a long way in healing some of my misconceptions about reality and consolidating what I knew about this area.

• DACDAC
    Thank you for this wonderful suggestion! 

Unfortunately, we know so very little as to the distant past, which often colors the process of compiling knowledge thereof with anachronisms and rationalizations, wherefore few truly original and profound works seem to emerge.   

I hope we can expand this section in the future.

• _ts__ts_
    The future is now! Share a book :]
  • DACDAC
    SO true! I was actually hoping others would add input, since, as I was alluding to in my post, there are few high quality books on these matters, that, although I consider myself an avid reader, I cannot seem to find any suitable suggestion, embarrassing :-) but true, I feel this is why LITD is so extra-ordinary. 
  • RobinRobin
    I just made a radio show centred on the ideas of LITD after finding an interview with Tony online. Our shows are 2 hours long, so I had 1 hour to fill with material to supplement his ideas. They fit with quite a lot of material we've had on the show in the past (e.g. Michael Pollan on co-evolution of plants and humans, Iain McGilchrist on dominance of the left hemispshere, and Marvin Bram on  The Roots and Ramifications of our Culture of Hierarchy and Control (which I refer to but didn't include in the show in question), episode #652: Is Humanity In Its Right Mind?
  • acdmacacdmac
    Excellent thread! Just what I was looking for. Probably a few I'd recommend that others have more than likely heard of:

Jill Bolte Taylor - Stroke of Insight.

Rick Strassman - DMT: The Spirit Molecule

Terence McKenna - Food of the Gods: The Search for the Original Tree of Knowledge.

Iain McGilchrist - The Master and His Emissary

All great books.

• _ts__ts_
    Very interesting, thanks Robin! Its good to see people getting the word out about this really important info

acdmac- GREAT suggestions. I have read Strassman's and McKenna's books and I can't recommend them enough. Terence is also phenomenal to listen to, since he truly has an amazing gift when it comes to speaking. 

I have McGilchrist's book but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Hopefully I will this summer

Oh and Strassman, along with three other brilliant fellows (some of which I think might be aware of Tony's work), put together a very interesting book on shamanism. http://www.amazon.com/Inner-Paths-Outer-Space-Psychedelics/dp/159477224X 

Its worth the amazing art in it alone and is great as both a introductory to psychedelics/shamanism or for someone already familiar with the area. 
  • acdmacacdmac
    Just bought it. Thanks so much _ts_! Can't wait to get into this one.
  • _ts__ts_
    One person who has been a huge influence for me that I should have mentioned earlier is Robert Anton Wilson. Bob had an incredible mind and was such a genuine and funny guy. His theories on the "8-circuit brain", and thoughts on consciousness or reality in general seem very similar to Tony's in some ways. 

His book Cosmic Trigger is a great place to start.. Its definitely in the top 3 books that have turned my world upside down.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion